Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Adolescence transition

 i try to google and search for the adolescence transition and see what kind of rituals they going through. for myself, i didn't go much on that...my family do not have the practice....so unlucky
below is link for the article i am able to find, and it contains about fews part of  topic
Adolescence - Puberty, Cognitive transition, Emotional transition, Social transition


For most people, there are four or five such stages of growth where they learn certain things: -
infancy (birth to age two),
early childhood (ages 3 to 8 years), l
ater childhood (ages 9 to 12) and
adolescence (ages 13 to 18).
Persons 18 and over are considered adults in our society.

Of course, there are some who will try to act older than their years. But, for the most part, most everybody grows in this same pattern. Parents learn much about taking care of their babies and young children.

Adolescents face a range of developmental issues. Havighurst (1952) suggested that two important areas included work and relationships. Levinson (1978) focused on changing relationships and on exploration, while Erikson (1968) commented on intimacy and commitment to goals. Super (1963) indicated that exploring and crystallizing vocational choice are important to older adolescents and young adults

i think for transition, maybe can focused on children from primary school to secondary school
start to mixd with different gender?
coz i remember last time i was so shy to be friends with boy, untill my mum always say to me
do not pull hand with boy, they are bad...boy will treat u so badly.... and also do not having any love affair till u go to university....that's y i am only date with boy after university
my current bf is my 1st bf, and we know for 8 years now....
ahahaha...

now is my another transition period from single moving to "double"
i mean i will getting married soon...it's a transition period for myself
maybe still unable to seek the same place and time with my future husband
but at least, we go for same comitment and goal
life is a cirrcle, we go back to the same starting point again

8 comments:

  1. Wah..congratulation I Ling and XY, bridegroom-to-be, what an exciting news I get today that you are getting married soon. There will be plenty of rituals anticipated and it will be good if you will to videotape for us to see. Rituals such as offering tea to elders in the family, the night before wedding,上头,when your mother may help you to shave your eyebrows and if I am not mistaken, cut some of your hair too- the rite of passage from maiden to being someone's wife. Somehow we lost many of these rituals now as modern people prefer to make individual decision and do not subscribe to the idea of community witness and celebration.
    Maybe I can understand a little bit the character of Crestmaiden that she would like to arrest time and space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are going into a major transition in life! Marriage is indeed a sacred union of two human beings who are committed for each other for the rest of their lives. I congratulate you and wishing you a happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congras, indeed. Make sure you go thru all the ritual as you will like to keep those sweet memories in you. I remembered mine, and it was wonderful. There was an unfortunate incident happened on the wedding day during the ceremony, you see one of my uncle accidentally drop a porcelain plate, which was a no-no during this aspicious day according to the wise elderly, and it so happened one of my husband friend who was a cantonese quickly shout out "Lok teh hoi fai fu kui meng wah" means more likely like "Drop to the ground and it will bloom blossom and many aspicious and prosperity". After that he asked my mum for a big red paper and wrapped the broken pieces and gave it to her for keeping. What a memory. Here come the bride, here come the bride - hehhehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe we can role play with I ling the ritual she wants to choose to play it out on reheasal before her wedding. This would satisfy me, probably others who have not had a chance yet to play out the role of being a bride on wedding day.What do you think, for those who are still single, committed or not committed singles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since Melinda asked the question, perhaps she has the answer to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if its only me who noticed that women are more excited and energised when the subject of 'marriage' is in the air, I wonder what makes this so, I suppose I can understand if the subject is about 'babies' given the close biological association to the gender.....is marriage a socio-cultural construction or even an evolutionary residue that is skewed somehow towards women with more emotional attachment to it than men? Just a thought. Congratulations I Ling, I love the 'big bad wolf' story that is universal for mothers to tell their daughters about the opposite sex that its in our folklores and fairy tales in many of the coming of age theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya, I wonder what man will say to each other if he tells them he is getting married tomorrow. I would like to hear this conversation among men. What would they say to the bridegroom to be? Do they congratulate him for winning the heart of the woman or mourn with him for the loss of personal freedom or asking him to think twice to married that woman? Perhaps it is the biological differences in the evolutionary process that makes women excited about marriage!

    ReplyDelete